discrimination harassment and affirmative action
Discrimination, Harassment and Affirmative Action
Brusseau, J. (2012). Business Ethics. New York, NY: 2012 Book Archive Project.
- Chapter 10: The Tense Office: Discrimination, Victimization, and Affirmative Action
- Chapter 11: The Aroused Office: Sex and Drugs at Work
For this PART 1:
Please read the case study entitled Google Celebrates Diversity…and Profit that you find in the reading assignment.
Based on what you have learned in this unit, answer the following questions:
1. In a nutshell, the commonly cited arguments in favor of affirmative action include the following:
- It creates fairness and equal opportunity within organizations.
- It benefits third parties: society as a whole will be more harmonious as discrimination recedes.
- It reduces tensions in an organization.
- It benefits organizations by helping them reach their goals.
- It is compensation for past wrongs.
Which of these arguments appear to stand behind affirmative action at Google? Explain. Are any of the other justifications applicable even though they may not be the reason Google seeks diverse talent?
2. In sweeping terms there are two types of arguments in favor of affirmative action. First, it serves a broad social good by integrating society. Second, companies employing affirmative action do better in the marketplace than those that don’t. If you had to choose one of these as a better and more persuasive argument for affirmative action, which would you choose? Why?
3. At some publicly funded universities, scholarships are, in essence, set aside for minorities. Google privately funds scholarships that are, in essence, set aside for minorities. Taxpayers, in other words, fund one affirmative action endeavor and private investors the other. Now, is one endeavor ethically superior to the other? Why or why not?
4. What does the veil of ignorance test for discrimination? Put yourself under the veil of ignorance. Now, do you believe Google’s hiring policies are ethically good or bad? Why?
Please write an essay of complete and well composed paragraphs (250 word minimum for the entire essay) Be sure to use in text citation and provide references for your sources. Wikipedia is not a source.
For this PART 2:
Please read the case study entitled International Affair that you find in the reading assignment.
Afterwards read the first, second, fourth and fifth sections of the article entitled “The nature, causes and consequences of bullying at work: The Norwegian experience” by Ståle Einarsen:
Please discuss this reading material in light of this case study and the reading assignments for this unit.
Einarsen, S. (2005). The nature, causes and consequences of bullying at work: The Norwegian experience. Perspectives interdisciplinaires sur le travail et la santé, 7-3, https://pistes.revues.org/3156.