introduction to criminal justice and public policy write 400 600 words
Because of the rising crime rate and the nation’s tougher stance on crime, many states have enacted legislation that eliminates discretion for sentencing alternatives, especially as it relates to repeat offenders. This legislation is referred to as “three strikes and you’re out.” In some states, one does not have to be convicted of a third felony to be affected by this legislation. If someone committed a misdemeanor for the third offense, it would trigger the “three strikes” law and subject the offender to a life sentence.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas on the following:
- What impact, if any, do you feel that this type of legislation would have on recidivism rates? Explain.
- Do you believe that someone convicted of a misdemeanor for their third offense should be subjected to life imprisonment under this legislation? Why or why not?
- What does the data show in evaluating the impact of “three strikes” legislation?
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmates’ postings?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the postings?
- What clarification do you need regarding the postings?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings